Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sparkle & Shine: The Best Highlighters

Highlighters are one of my favorite beauty items; they add dimension to the face, emphasize the cheekbones & make the skin glow with little effort on your part. I've accumulated some of my favorite highlighters to review and hopefully I can shed some light on a simple product that can have a huge impact on your makeup routine! 




MAC Play it Proper (Limited Edition)

  • I typically don't like to include limited edition products since they are difficult to find and aren't always re-promoted but I just had to talk about this. It is the most beautiful highlighter I have ever used. It is not technically packaged as a highlighter but instead called a "beauty powder." Either way, it is just gorgeous. I searched for months and months to find this after I saw +kandee johnson use it in a tutorial on YouTube. I finally located it at a cosmetic company store in Dallas while I was on vacation. It was well worth the hunt. It is a pink highlighter, which flatters my neutral, olivish skin tone much better than gold highlighters. It's very pigmented and lasts pretty much all day. If you can get your hands on this, don't pass it up!



  • Benefit's High Beam is liquid highlighter that has a very creamy texture and lasts all day. I think it is almost identical to the MAC's Play It Proper in a liquid form. It can not only be used as a highlighter but you can also mix a small amount of it in with your foundation and it gives the most beautiful sheen to the makeup! That is one of my favorite tricks to achieving a healthy glow. It says to apply 3 dots on the cheekbones and then blend out using your fingers but I have found that using a smaller, round synthetic brush works much better. It sets very quickly so make sure you work fast!



  • MAC Lightscapade is described as a "soft candlelit beige with multidimensional shimmer" according to the MAC website. I agree with that, it gives a very warm glow to the cheeks like a candle would and the blues and other colors swirled in with it add more dimension to the look. It is the perfect white highlighter; it's not stark white and seems to almost blend in naturally with the skin. It is not as pigmented as MAC Soft & Gentle in my opinion and using a dense, synthetic brush seems work best when applying this product. It would suit all skin tones and I recommend checking this out if you're just starting to get in to highlighters! 

Click the links on the names under the pictures to check out these products!

Love,
     Ky


No comments:

Post a Comment